|学部・研究科Faculty/Graduate school||GISDepartment of Global and Interdisciplinary Studies|
|旧授業コードPrevious Class code|
|旧科目名Previous Class title|
|キャンパスCampus||市ヶ谷 / Ichigaya|
|他学部公開（履修条件等）Open Program (Notes)|
|グローバル・オープン科目Global Open Program|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修制度対象Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers||○|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修（履修条件等）Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers (Notes)||制度ウェブサイトの3．科目別の注意事項(1)GIS主催科目の履修上の注意を参照すること。|
|実務経験のある教員による授業科目Class taught by instructors with practical experience|
|アーバンデザインCPUrban Design CP|
|未来教室CPLearning for the Future CP|
|旧科目との重複履修Duplicate Subjects Taken Under Previous Class Title|
|カテゴリー（2020年度以降入学者）Category (commenced 2020 onwards)||400-level Seminar Courses（演習）|
|カテゴリー（2016～2019年度入学者）Category (commenced 2016-2019)||400-level Seminar Courses|
【授業の概要と目的（何を学ぶか） / Outline and objectives】
The course is for students wanting to explore effective language teaching and learning both face-to-face and online, targeting various types of second language (L2) learners inside and outside the school language classroom. It focuses on core issues affecting L2 education, such as L2 motivational strategies for successful achievement in learning L2s within the context of second language acquisition (SLA). Its purpose is to give an insight into the educational and second language learning (SLL) theory: issues on L2 learners, teaching methods and approaches, teaching materials, lesson planning for educators, and educational specific skills for explaining how to elicit and maintain L2 learners' motivation, etc. It also provides opportunities for developing practical techniques that motivate L2 learners, and examining, reflecting on and discussing significant aspects of successful language teaching and learning. It encourages the students to consider how they can contribute to learner achievement and to establish their own career paths in the related educational fields within the global context.
【到達目標 / Goal】
The course provides opportunities to:
1. Learn challenging issues of language teaching and learning within various contexts of L2 education.
2. Acquire theoretical knowledge of motivational strategies in L2 education.
3. Examine how L2 education is implemented effectively with the expertise of SLA.
4. Discuss how the L2 motivational strategies are connected to theoretical aspects of SLL.
5. Practice basic ideas for effective L2 teaching within the global context.
【この授業を履修することで学部等のディプロマポリシーに示されたどの能力を習得することができるか（該当授業科目と学位授与方針に明示された学習成果との関連） / Which item of the diploma policy will be obtained by taking this class?】
Will be able to gain “DP 1”, “DP 2”, and “DP 4”.
【授業で使用する言語 / Default language used in class】
英語 / English
【授業の進め方と方法 / Method(s)】
（学期の途中で変更になる場合には、別途提示します。 /If the Method(s) is changed, we will announce the details of any changes. ）
Presentations, the related tasks and activities and fieldwork are required for the completion of this course; students are required to choose one of the course topics, make a presentation and complete a seminar paper on it. They are also required to plan their face-to-face and online language courses/lessons and implement them in educational organisations. Submission of the final requirements and feedback will be dealt with in seminar class and on the learning management systems (HOPPII, etc.).
【アクティブラーニング（グループディスカッション、ディベート等）の実施 / Active learning in class (Group discussion, Debate.etc.)】
あり / Yes
【フィールドワーク（学外での実習等）の実施 / Fieldwork in class】
あり / Yes
【授業計画 / Schedule】
授業形態 / methods of teaching：対面/face to face
|回 / No.||各回の授業形態予定 / methods of teaching||テーマ / Theme||内容 / Contents|
|2||対面/face to face||Studies of SLA (1)||Issues in SLA and Bilingualism (1)|
|3||対面/face to face||Studies of SLA (2)||Issues in SLA and Bilingualism (2)|
|4||対面/face to face||Studies of SLA (3)||Issues in SLA and Bilingualism (3)|
|5||対面/face to face||Studies of Effective Teaching (1)||Issues in the theory of teaching conditions (1)|
|6||対面/face to face||Studies of Effective Teaching (2)||Issues in the theory of teaching conditions (2)|
|7||対面/face to face||Studies of Effective Teaching (3)||Issues in the theory of motivational factors.|
|8||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (1)||Issues in the practice of L2 teaching methods and approaches (1)|
|9||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (2)||Issues in the practice of L2 teaching methods and approaches (2)|
|10||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (3)||Issues in the practice of creating teaching materials (1)|
|11||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (4)||Issues in the practice of creating teaching materials (2)|
|12||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (5)||Issues in the practice of planning lessons (1)|
|13||対面/face to face||Studies of L2 Motivational Strategies (6)||Issues in the practice of planning lessons (2)|
|14||対面/face to face||Consolidation of SeminarⅠ||Reviews and discussion|
【授業時間外の学習（準備学習・復習・宿題等） / Work to be done outside of class (preparation, etc.)】
1. Every week before class, students are required to comprehend the assigned readings and be ready for making presentations and group discussions on related topics in class.
2. Preparatory study and review time for this class are 4 hours each.
【テキスト（教科書） / Textbooks】
1. Baker, C. (2021). Foundation of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. Multilingual Matters.
2. Dörnyei, Z. (2001). Motivational strategies in the language classroom. Cambridge UP.
3. Kyriacou, C. (2009). Effective teaching in schools: Theory and practice. Oxford UP.
4. Mitchell, R., Myles, F., & Marsden, E. (2019). Second language learning theories. Hodder Education.
【参考書 / References】
1. Dörnyei, Z., & Ushioda, E. (2009). Motivation, language identity and the L2 self. Multilingual Matters.
2. Dörnyei, Z., & Ushioda, E. (2011). Teaching and researching motivation. Cambridge UP.
3. Dörnyei, Z. (2020). Innovations and challenges in language learning motivation. Routledge.
4. Larsen-Freeman, D. & Anderson, M. (2011). Techniques and principles in language teaching. Oxford UP.
5. VanPatten, B., Smith, M., & Benati, A. (2020). Key questions in second language acquisition. Cambridge UP.
6. Walker, R. & Adelman, C. (1992). A guide to classroom observation. Routledge.
7. Schunk, D. H. (2016). Handbook of self-regulation of learning and performance. (2nd ed.). Routledge.
【成績評価の方法と基準 / Grading criteria】
Evaluation will be based on:
1. Class participation (10%)
2. Presentation (20%)
3. Writing assignment (40%)
4. Educational practices (30%)
【学生の意見等からの気づき / Changes following student comments】
More frequent and detailed notifications regarding class activities and tasks will be given in order to 1) avoid causing any difficulties in getting access to important information about the course, and 2) allow students to prepare for class discussions, final requirements, etc.
【学生が準備すべき機器他 / Equipment student needs to prepare】
Use a laptop in class, get lecture materials, etc. in HOPPII.
【その他の重要事項 / Others】
1. Students are expected to be actively involved in different types of seminar activities, including fieldwork for L2 education targeting different types of L2 learners in ages and proficiency levels for assuring the related studies examined in seminar class.
2. Information about schedules of the seminar activities is provided and discussed in class: visiting and running language courses/classes in schools, etc.
3. Students are recommended to have completed at least one of the courses presented below:
ⅰ）English Teaching in Primary School advanced
ⅱ）Language Education in the Digital Era
ⅲ）Second Language Acquisition
Required to complete at least one of the courses presented below (taught by the seminar instructor):
1. TESOLⅠ, Ⅱ, Ⅲ, or Ⅳ
2. Comparative Education
3. English Teaching in Primary School