|学部・研究科Faculty/Graduate school||GISDepartment of Global and Interdisciplinary Studies|
|旧授業コードPrevious Class code|
|旧科目名Previous Class title|
|キャンパスCampus||市ヶ谷 / Ichigaya|
|他学部公開（履修条件等）Open Program (Notes)|
|グローバル・オープン科目Global Open Program||○|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修制度対象Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers||○|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修（履修条件等）Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers (Notes)||制度ウェブサイトの3．科目別の注意事項(1)GIS主催科目の履修上の注意を参照すること。|
|実務経験のある教員による授業科目Class taught by instructors with practical experience|
|アーバンデザインCPUrban Design CP|
|未来教室CPLearning for the Future CP|
|旧科目との重複履修Duplicate Subjects Taken Under Previous Class Title|
|カテゴリー（2020年度以降入学者）Category (commenced 2020 onwards)||200-level Intermediate Courses（中級）|
|カテゴリー（2016～2019年度入学者）Category (commenced 2016-2019)||200-level Intermediate Courses
Linguistics and Language Acquisition
【授業の概要と目的（何を学ぶか） / Outline and objectives】
This course is for students intending to teach English to young learners as primary pupils. It provides an overview of second language learning (SLL) for such young learners, with reference to primary modern foreign languages (PMFL), in particular, English as a foreign language (EFL) within the global context. Its purpose is to give an insight into a range of SLL theories to primary pupils from psychological, educational and linguistic perspectives. It also explores modern second language (L2) pedagogy for them with consideration to make consistency in L2 education from the primary to secondary levels. It looks at practical issues of their SLL, such as the global movement towards primary L2 education, differences in teaching and assessing primary pupils and other L2 learners at higher levels of education, etc. Students will be encouraged to develop their own perspectives on the teaching of English in primary school.
【到達目標 / Goal】
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
1. Understand the core issues of SLL theories of young learners.
2. Explain different perspectives of the core issues of L2 education in primary school.
3. Examine the connection between the core issues of young learners' SLL and L2 pedagogy in primary school.
4. Utilise the theoretical knowledge of L2 education for young learners to give an insight into cultivating L2 pedagogy in primary school.
【この授業を履修することで学部等のディプロマポリシーに示されたどの能力を習得することができるか（該当授業科目と学位授与方針に明示された学習成果との関連） / Which item of the diploma policy will be obtained by taking this class?】
Will be able to gain “DP 1”, “DP 2”, “DP 3”, and “DP 4”.
【授業で使用する言語 / Default language used in class】
英語 / English
【授業の進め方と方法 / Method(s)】
（学期の途中で変更になる場合には、別途提示します。 /If the Method(s) is changed, we will announce the details of any changes. ）
A presentation, final exam and writing assignment are required for the completion of this course; students are required to choose one of the course topics, make a presentation and submit a writing assignment on it. Submission of the final requirements and feedback will be on the learning management systems (HOPPII, etc.).
【アクティブラーニング（グループディスカッション、ディベート等）の実施 / Active learning in class (Group discussion, Debate.etc.)】
あり / Yes
【フィールドワーク（学外での実習等）の実施 / Fieldwork in class】
なし / No
【授業計画 / Schedule】
授業形態 / methods of teaching：対面/face to face
|回 / No.||各回の授業形態予定 / methods of teaching||テーマ / Theme||内容 / Contents|
|2||対面/face to face||Rationales of English Teaching in Primary School||Issues in the placement of primary modern foreign languages (PMFL) in the primary curriculum|
|3||対面/face to face||SLL of Young Learners (1)||Issues in learning and development|
|4||対面/face to face||SLL of Young Learners (2)||Issues in learning languages|
|5||対面/face to face||SLL of Young Learners (3)||Issues in teaching four skills: the spoken language|
|6||対面/face to face||SLL of Young Learners (4)||Issues in teaching four skills: words|
|7||対面/face to face||SLL of Young Learners (5)||Issues in teaching four skills: grammar|
|8||対面/face to face||Primary L2 Education (1)||Issues in teaching learning to learn|
|9||対面/face to face||Primary L2 Education (2)||Issues in pedagogical approaches for primary pupils|
|10||対面/face to face||Primary L2 Education (3)||Issues in assessing primary pupils|
|11||対面/face to face||Presentation (1)||Preparation for presentation: checking contents, materials, procedure and performance|
|12||対面/face to face||Presentation (2)||Discuss and review (1)|
|13||対面/face to face||Presentation (3)||Discuss and review (2)|
|14||対面/face to face||Consolidation of English Teaching in Primary School||Final exam and review|
【授業時間外の学習（準備学習・復習・宿題等） / Work to be done outside of class (preparation, etc.)】
1. Every week before class, students are required to comprehend the assigned readings and be ready for group discussion on related topics in class.
2. Students are required to complete daily tasks by choosing the related topics of lectures.
3. Preparatory study and review time for this class are 2 hours each.
【テキスト（教科書） / Textbooks】
1. Cameron, L. (2001). Teaching languages to young learners. Cambridge University Press.
【参考書 / References】
1. Annamaria Pinter. (2006). Teaching young language learners. Oxford University Press.
2. Coyle, D., Hood, P., & Marsh, D. (2010). CLIL: Content and language integrated learning (1st ed.). Cambridge University Press.
3. Curtain, H. & Dahlberg, A. C. (2005). Languages and children: Making the match. Pearson.
4. Jalongo, M. Young children and picture books. (2004). National Association for the Education of Young Children.
5. Ellis, G., Brewster, J., & Girard, D. (2002). The primary English teacher’s guide. (New). Penguin English Guides.
6. Nikolov, M. (2009). Early learning of modern foreign languages: Process and outcomes. Oxford University Press.
7. VanPatten, B., Smith, M., & Benati, A. (2020). Key questions in second language acquisition. Cambridge UP.
9. 文部科学省（2017）『小学校学習指導要領（平成 29 年告示）解説外国語活動・外国語編』 開隆堂.
【成績評価の方法と基準 / Grading criteria】
Evaluation will be based on:
1. Class participation (10%)
2. Presentation (30%)
3. Writing assignment (30%)
4. Final Exam (30%)
【学生の意見等からの気づき / Changes following student comments】
More frequent and detailed notifications regarding class activities and tasks will be given in order to 1) avoid causing any difficulties in getting access to important information about the course, and 2) allow students to prepare for class discussions, final requirements, etc.
【学生が準備すべき機器他 / Equipment student needs to prepare】
Use a laptop in class, get lecture materials, etc. in HOPPII.
【その他の重要事項 / Others】
Recommended to complete at least one of the courses presented below:
2. Second Language Acquisition
3. Comparative Education
4. Language Education in the Digital Era