|学部・研究科Faculty/Graduate school||GISDepartment of Global and Interdisciplinary Studies|
|旧授業コードPrevious Class code|
|旧科目名Previous Class title|
|キャンパスCampus||市ヶ谷 / Ichigaya|
|他学部公開（履修条件等）Open Program (Notes)|
|グローバル・オープン科目Global Open Program|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修制度対象Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers||○|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修（履修条件等）Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers (Notes)||制度ウェブサイトの3．科目別の注意事項(1)GIS主催科目の履修上の注意を参照すること。|
|実務経験のある教員による授業科目Class taught by instructors with practical experience|
|アーバンデザインCPUrban Design CP|
|未来教室CPLearning for the Future CP|
|旧科目との重複履修Duplicate Subjects Taken Under Previous Class Title|
|カテゴリー（2020年度以降入学者）Category (commenced 2020 onwards)||100-level Introductory Courses（入門）
|カテゴリー（2016～2019年度入学者）Category (commenced 2016-2019)||100-level Introductory Courses
Linguistics and Language Acquisition
【授業の概要と目的（何を学ぶか） / Outline and objectives】
This course is for students intending to explore second language learning (SLL) focusing on motivational issues within the context of comparative education. It provides a basic understanding of different conceptual frameworks of second language (L2) motivation and a historical overview of the development of L2 motivational studies focusing on social, cognitive and educational aspects of motivational psychology. Its purpose is to give an insight into the significant variables of L2 motivation as core elements in L2 education from a global perspective. It explains how they are affected by globalisation and local settings related to L2 learners, such as their ethnic background, age, language preferences, L2 learning conditions, etc., and especially by comparing the teaching of English to other foreign languages. This course also studies how to put related knowledge into practice: it gives an insight into collections of related research studies ranging worldwide, and it is expected to stimulate debate on how to deal with motivational aspects of learners, lessons, teaching materials, evaluation, etc. effectively in L2 education.
【到達目標 / Goal】
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
(1) Learn different concepts, perspectives, and theories in L2 motivation.
(2) Explain various factors that influence building conceptual frameworks of L2 motivation.
(3) Utilise the theoretical knowledge of L2 motivation to explain motivational issues of L2 education.
(4) Discuss motivational approaches to deal with controversial issues of L2 education.
【この授業を履修することで学部等のディプロマポリシーに示されたどの能力を習得することができるか（該当授業科目と学位授与方針に明示された学習成果との関連） / Which item of the diploma policy will be obtained by taking this class?】
Will be able to gain “DP 1”, “DP 2”, “DP 3”, and “DP 4”.
【授業で使用する言語 / Default language used in class】
英語 / English
【授業の進め方と方法 / Method(s)】
（学期の途中で変更になる場合には、別途提示します。 /If the Method(s) is changed, we will announce the details of any changes. ）
A presentation, final exam and writing assignment are required for the completion of this course; students are required to choose one of the course topics, make a presentation and submit a writing assignment on it. Submission of the final requirements and feedback will be on the learning management systems (HOPPII, etc.).
【アクティブラーニング（グループディスカッション、ディベート等）の実施 / Active learning in class (Group discussion, Debate.etc.)】
あり / Yes
【フィールドワーク（学外での実習等）の実施 / Fieldwork in class】
なし / No
【授業計画 / Schedule】
授業形態 / methods of teaching：対面/face to face
|回 / No.||各回の授業形態予定 / methods of teaching||テーマ / Theme||内容 / Contents|
|2||対面/face to face||The Conceptualisation of Motivation||Issues in defining motivation and its fundamental challenges|
|3||対面/face to face||The Development of the L2 Motivational Studies (1)||Issues in the classical studies|
|4||対面/face to face||The Development of the L2 Motivational Studies (2)||Issues in the social-psychological period|
|5||対面/face to face||The Development of the L2 Motivational Studies (3)||Issues in the cognitive-situated period|
|6||対面/face to face||The Development of the L2 Motivational Studies (4)||Issues in the process-oriented and socio-dynamic periods|
|7||対面/face to face||L2 Motivation in Practice||Issues in teaching strategies and approaches|
|8||対面/face to face||L2 Motivation in Context||Issues in demotivating influences|
|9||対面/face to face||L2 Motivation Research from a Global Perspective (1)||Issues from a perspective of cross-sectional studies|
|10||対面/face to face||L2 Motivation Research from a Global Perspective (2)||Issues from a perspective of longitudinal studies|
|11||対面/face to face||Presentation (1)||Preparation for presentation: checking contents, materials, procedure and performance|
|12||対面/face to face||Presentation (2)||Discuss and review (1)|
|13||対面/face to face||Presentation (3)||Discuss and review (2)|
|14||対面/face to face||Consolidation of Comparative Education||Final exam and review|
【授業時間外の学習（準備学習・復習・宿題等） / Work to be done outside of class (preparation, etc.)】
1. Every week before class, students are required to comprehend the assigned readings and be ready for group discussion on related topics in class.
2. Students are required to complete daily tasks by choosing the related topics of lectures.
3. Preparatory study and review time for this class are 2 hours each.
【テキスト（教科書） / Textbooks】
Dörnyei, Z., & Ushioda, E. (2011). Teaching and researching motivation. Cambridge University Press.
【参考書 / References】
1. Apple, T. M., Silva, Da D., & Fellner, T. (eds.). (2017). L2 selves and motivations in Asian contexts. Multilingual Matters.
2. Dörnyei, Z. (2005). The psychology of the language learner. LEA.
3. Dörnyei, Z. (2020). Innovations and challenges in language learning motivation. Routledge.
4. Dörnyei, Z., & Ushioda, E. (eds.). (2009). Motivation, language identity and the L2 self. Multilingual Matters.
5. Dörnyei, Z. et al. (2006). Motivation, language attitudes and globalisation: A Hungarian perspective. Multilingual Matters.
6. Ushioda, E. (2013). International perspectives on motivation: Language learning and professional challenges. Palgrave Macmillan.
【成績評価の方法と基準 / Grading criteria】
Evaluation will be based on:
1. Class participation (10%)
2. Presentation (30%)
3. Writing assignment (30%)
4. Final Exam (30%)
【学生の意見等からの気づき / Changes following student comments】
More frequent and detailed notifications regarding class activities and tasks will be given in order to 1) avoid causing any difficulties in getting access to important information about the course, and 2) allow students to prepare for class discussions, final requirements, etc.
【学生が準備すべき機器他 / Equipment student needs to prepare】
Use a laptop in class, get lecture materials, etc. in HOPPII.
【その他の重要事項 / Others】