|学部・研究科Faculty/Graduate school||GISDepartment of Global and Interdisciplinary Studies|
|旧授業コードPrevious Class code|
|旧科目名Previous Class title||(ESL Education I: Introduction)|
|キャンパスCampus||市ヶ谷 / Ichigaya|
|他学部公開（履修条件等）Open Program (Notes)|
|グローバル・オープン科目Global Open Program||○|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修制度対象Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers|
|成績優秀者の他学部科目履修（履修条件等）Interdepartmental class taking system for Academic Achievers (Notes)|
|実務経験のある教員による授業科目Class taught by instructors with practical experience|
|アーバンデザインCPUrban Design CP|
|未来教室CPLearning for the Future CP|
|旧科目との重複履修Duplicate Subjects Taken Under Previous Class Title||×|
|カテゴリー（2020年度以降入学者）Category (commenced 2020 onwards)||100-level Introductory Courses（入門）
|カテゴリー（2016～2019年度入学者）Category (commenced 2016-2019)||100-level Introductory Courses
Linguistics and Language Acquisition
【授業の概要と目的（何を学ぶか） / Outline and objectives】
The course is for students intending to teach English; it is an introduction to second language (L2) acquisition and pedagogy. It encourages students to raise their awareness as language teachers.
【到達目標 / Goal】
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
1. Explain the core issues in L2 acquisition research.
2. Examine the connection between L2 research and pedagogy.
3. Conduct research on instructed L2 learning, and relate the findings to L2 learning and teaching in Japan.
4. Conduct research on L2 pedagogical approaches integrated with ICT
5. Understand what is needed to qualify as an English teacher.
【この授業を履修することで学部等のディプロマポリシーに示されたどの能力を習得することができるか（該当授業科目と学位授与方針に明示された学習成果との関連） / Which item of the diploma policy will be obtained by taking this class?】
Will be able to gain “DP 2”, “DP 3”, and “DP 4”.
【授業で使用する言語 / Default language used in class】
英語 / English
【授業の進め方と方法 / Method(s)】
（学期の途中で変更になる場合には、別途提示します。 /If the Method(s) is changed, we will announce the details of any changes. ）
The course focuses on the teaching and learning of English. Students will learn theories of first and second language acquisition and a range of opportunities to explore research studies and pedagogy on EFL/ESL education. The course will be highlighted by the students' individual performance: they are to choose one of the course topics and then make a presentation on it. They are required to practice their ICT pedagogical skills through the presentation as well as learning its content. Students are also required to take a final exam and submit a written assignment on a related issue.
Submission of the final requirements and feedback will be on the learning management systems.
【アクティブラーニング（グループディスカッション、ディベート等）の実施 / Active learning in class (Group discussion, Debate.etc.)】
あり / Yes
【フィールドワーク（学外での実習等）の実施 / Fieldwork in class】
なし / No
【授業計画 / Schedule】
授業形態 / methods of teaching：対面/face to face
|回 / No.||各回の授業形態予定 / methods of teaching||テーマ / Theme||内容 / Contents|
|2||対面/face to face||Language, Learning and Teaching (1)||Current issues in second language acquisition (1)|
|3||対面/face to face||Language, Learning and Teaching (2)||Current issues in second language acquisition (2)|
|4||対面/face to face||Language, Learning and Teaching (3)||Schools of thought in second language acquisition (1)|
|5||対面/face to face||Language, Learning and Teaching (4)||Schools of thought in second language acquisition (2)|
|6||対面/face to face||Language, Learning and Teaching (5)||Schools of thought in second language acquisition (3)|
|7||対面/face to face||First Language Acquisition||Issues in first language acquisition|
|8||対面/face to face||Second Language Acquisition (1)||Building a theory of second language acquisition|
|9||対面/face to face||Second Language Acquisition (2)||Study of models of second language acquisition (1)|
|10||対面/face to face||Second Language Acquisition (3)||Study of models of second language acquisition (2)|
|11||対面/face to face||Presentation (1)||Demonstration/observation, review and discussion (1)|
|12||対面/face to face||Presentation (2)||Demonstration/observation, review and discussion (2)|
|13||対面/face to face||Presentation (3)||Demonstration/observation, review and discussion (3)|
|14||対面/face to face||Final Exam & Wrap-up||Consolidation|
【授業時間外の学習（準備学習・復習・宿題等） / Work to be done outside of class (preparation, etc.)】
1. Every week before attending class, students are required to comprehend the assigned readings.
2. Students are required to prepare for their presentation sessions by creating presentation materials.
Preparatory study and review time for this class are 2 hours each.
【テキスト（教科書） / Textbooks】
Brown, H. D. (2014). Principles of language learning and teaching. (6th ed.). Pearson Education.
【参考書 / References】
1. Council of Europe. (2001). Common European framework of reference for languages: learning, teaching, assessment. Cambridge University Press.
2. Long, M. H., & Doughty, C. J. (2011). The handbook of language teaching.Wiley-Blackwell.
3. 白畑智彦・冨田祐一・村野井仁・若林茂則 (著). 2009.『英語教育用語辞典』（改訂版）大修館書店.
4. 文部科学省. 2017.『小学校学習指導要領（外国語）』東洋館出版社.
5. 文部科学省. 2017.『中学校学習指導要領（外国語）』開隆堂出版.
6. 文部科学省. 2018.『高等学校学習指導要領（外国語・英語）』開隆堂出版.
【成績評価の方法と基準 / Grading criteria】
Evaluation will be based on:
1. Class participation (10%)
2. Presentation (20%)
3. Presentation materials (10%)
4. Writing assignment (30%)
5. Final Exam (30%)
More than 2 unexcused absences will result in failure of this course.
【学生の意見等からの気づき / Changes following student comments】
1. More advanced notice of assigned readings will be given in order to allow students to prepare for class discussions.
2. More detailed information about the topics to choose for the presentation and writing assignment will be provided in advance.
3. More intensive instruction on how to reflect the presentation will be provided in advance.
【学生が準備すべき機器他 / Equipment student needs to prepare】